[Users] Configure options - Was: Missiing spelling

Holger Berndt berndth at gmx.de
Sun Jun 28 10:48:11 CEST 2015

Hallo Ralf,

On Di, 23.06.2015 13:46, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> However, Michael already pointed out --enable-enchant isn't needed,
>>> it's enabled automatically. Are any of the following options
>>> also unneeded:
>>
>>They are unneeded if you don't need them. I'm not entirely sure what
>>you are trying to achieve here.
>
>I want to know, what configure options I need to add, if I want to
>enable/disable those options. Michael claimed that it's not needed to
>add --enable-enchant to enable it [2]. So is it needed to add any of the
>other options [1] to configure, to enable/disable them, assumed all
>build dependencies are installed, those for the enabled and disabled
>options.

Some --enable... options (mainly those for plugins) change semantics of
the configure step. If the dependency is not fulfilled, then
- if no --enable-option is given: Print a warning and build without it
- if --enable-option is given: Error out

So the seemingly unneeded options can serve the purpose to make sure
that some feature is actually included in the build, if the build
succeeds.

Holger