[Users] Creating a new email account is difficult [a suggestion for improvement]

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 01:27:32 CEST 2015

First, before I complain, my thanks to everyone who contributes to
claws-mail.  I'm on your side in spite of my whining :)

Okay, I'm new to claws-mail but not to open-source (I'm posting with
claws that I just compiled from today's git sources).

My big problem was creating my new email accounts, not using claws when
I (finally) got the new accounts working.  So, why did I have so much
trouble?

After much cursing and hair-pulling I figured out that most of my
trouble was because claws defaulted to using wrong port numbers
when talking to the mail servers, e.g. port 25 instead of 465, etc.

SSL/TLS are not "advanced" technology today like they were when email
was new, so I suggest that the port-number settings be moved from the
"advanced" settings to the "send" and "receive" settings, maybe with
popup error messages asking if I'm really sure which port number I
should be using?

Thanks again for your good work.