[Users] Why would one prefer Sylpheed over Claws Mail ??

Michael Schwendt bugreporter at abwesend.de
Sun Jun 14 07:44:24 CEST 2015

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 04:38:38 +0200, anton92 at gmx.ru wrote:

> I was very surprised to discover that Sylpheed (instead of CM) was chosen by the Fedora distro.

There is no such thing as "the Fedora distro". The Fedora Project releases
several products and so-called "spins",

  https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

and what default applications are chosen for the various Live media may
be simply a matter of trimming down the size of those media.

Afterall, Claws Mail is available in Fedora's package repositories, which
is available to all products/spins.

> From what I understand CM is much better than Sylpheed, because it has many plugins and a more vibrant community, so I really don't see why Sylpheed could be preferred over CM.

It may be an idea to ask the main people behind the spin you refer to.
Sylpheed is considered more light-weight than Claws Mail. It could also be
that one of the person's involved uses Sylpheed for one reason or another.

> I was not able to find much info on the internet about the difference between the two programs. All one finds is that CM was forked from Sylpheed and is now managed by a community.

Originally, it had been the separate development version of Sylpheed
called "Sylpheed-claws", but has moved on faster than Sylpheed inherited
new features, new plugins, code rewrites. Eventually it's not been accurate
anymore to pretend a close relationship. Hence the rename.