[Users] Odd performance problems on Ubuntu 15.10 (wily werewolf)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jun 4 19:10:21 CEST 2015

I always try to run the latest Ubuntu under development, at least on a few
machines, as early in the cycle as possible.  I've been noticing some odd
performance problems with CM 3.11.1 (3.11.1-3ubuntu2) on Ubuntu 15.10 which I
am not seeing on 15.04, even though the packages are currently identical.

Very often, CM on 15.10 just hangs and starts consuming a lot of memory and *a
lot* of CPU.  I see load averages climb, and the CM windows turn grey for 30
seconds or so.  The entire system also gets quite unresponsive, and CM will
crash more often.

I know there are a lot of tool chain and dependency changes early in the
cycle, so I'm wondering if something has changed out from underneath CM.  I
haven't chased down anything in particular that could be responsible, but it
seems like a pretty common occurrence.  This is on a 4GB VM, but as I say, I
don't notice any of these problems under Vivid.

So I'm thinking about doing a no-change rebuild for CM on 15.10, probably in a
PPA to start with, but I wanted to check here to see if any other Ubuntu users
might have some comments first.

Cheers,
-Barry