[Users] Support for Arabic on Windows

sergei karhof karhof21 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 20:38:40 CET 2015

> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:30:44 -0500
> From: jeremy.schneider at ardentperf.com
> To: users at lists.claws-mail.org
> Subject: Re: [Users] Support for Arabic on Windows

> FYI, I am on Windows 7 professional with Claws 3.10.1 and I am able to
> paste Arabic characters into messages and send/receive those messages.
> I just sent a test message from claws to my gmail account and was able
> to read the Arabic characters in gmail.
>
> I know this is obvious, but worth quickly asking - did you check the
> far right-hand side of the window? (Entering from LTR character sets
> will sometimes switch the current line to be right-justified instead
> of left-justified.)

Yes, I have checked at both sides of the screen :)
I posted a big chunk of text, and the only characters properly displayed
are numbers. What I get, instead of Arabic characters, are little 'boxes'
containing small numbers, one 'box' for each character.
By the way, the indentation is correct (RTL), so Arabic is detected as
such, but no Arabic letters.

It's obvious that there is a problem with the unicode rendering. What is
strange is that on the same system I run another Gtk-based software
(Cherrytree) and Arabic is rendered perfectly.

Could it be that in the Windows port there is something missing? Or perhaps
some parameters are set in the wrong manner?