[Users] Separate trash files per account doesn't work

Graham P Davis newsboy at scarlet-jade.com
Tue Feb 10 22:12:51 CET 2015

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:35:03 -0500
Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:51:09 +0000 Graham P Davis wrote:
>
> >I tried to configure an account to send deleted posts to an
> >individual trash-file for that account. I used the "advanced
> >settings", ticked the box and allocated a trash-file. This seemed to
> >go well but when I delete a post, it still goes to the default
> >waste-bin.
>
> From a thread back in Nov...
>
> HTH,
> Pierre
>

> From: Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com>
> To: users at lists.claws-mail.org
> Subject: Re: [Users] "Put deleted messages in . . . " ignored
> Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 08:04:22 -0500
> Sender: "Users" <users-bounces at lists.claws-mail.org>
>
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 11:32:11 +0000 Graham P Davis wrote:
>
> >Instead of dumping all my deleted messages in the same waste-bin, I
> >decided to configure my accounts to use their own trash-cans. To
> >verify that it worked, I set up a new trash folder and edited an
> >account to "put deleted messages in . . ." the new folder.
> >Unfortunately, I verified that it didn't work. Deleted messages still
> >went in the general trash and my new folder remained disappointingly
> >empty.
> >
> >Is there something I've missed in setting this up or does it just not
> >work?
> >
> Sounds like you set up ONE MH mailbox and added accounts when what you
> want is to add one MH mailbox per account:
>
>    File->Add mailbox->MH... (for each account - what you want)
>       (On initial setup, Claws adds the first account [1])
>       Add account & change the Account->Receive->Default inbox to
>       point to the correct MH mailbox
> v.
>    one MH mailbox (what you did):
>       Configuration->create new account...
>    or
>       Configuration->Edit accounts...->New
>
> It should look like this:
>   Account1 (MH) [1]
>     Inbox
>     Trash
>   Account2 (MH)
>     Inbox
>     Trash
>
> instead of simply:
>   Mail (MH) [1]
>     Inbox
>     Trash
>
> [1] on initial setup, you had the option to change Mail to Account1
>     You can't rename a mailbox; but you can add one per account,
> naming them, then delete "Mail (MH)" (after moving your messages to
>     appropriate account mailboxes).
>
> HTH
> Pierre

Thanks, Pierre, for exposing yet another of my senior moments!  ;-)

I see from that thread that I was unhappy with this solution and I
think I'd still have to reject it as being unsuitable for my setup.

I'm still not sure why I can have one mailbox with a drafts folder for
each one of the umpteen accounts therein but only one trash-bin per
mail-box; I guess that's an inherent part of the design.

I'm pretty sure - or as sure as I am of anything at the moment - that I
also didn't raise the bug report I mentioned. Whether that was because
I forgot or decided that it didn't warrant one, I'm not sure. I'll
think again about it - and try not to forget again!

Thanks for digging this past thread out for me; I should have done a
search myself - sorry.

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
OS: Linux: openSUSE Tumbleweed (64-bit); KDE 4.14.4; Kernel: 3.18.3