[Users] Is it possible to automatically fetch mails in background?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Dec 26 04:29:32 CET 2015

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 22:50:48 +0100
Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to fetch mails every X minutes in background, without making
> claws-mail GUI visible.
>
> I found --receive-all parameter but I see no way to run claws-mail in
> headless mode (or at least keep GUI hidden).
>
> I want to solve problems of (a) claws-mail frozen during fetching
> mails (b) long wait for mails during fetch.
>
> I hope that with cyclic fetching once I open GUI and I will want to
> check mail wait time will be lower.

Others have written giving you answers to your exact question. I'm
making a suggestion, not responsive to your question, which might or
might not help you achieve a situation you like...

I have a Dovecot IMAP server on my desktop with my Claws-Mail client.
Every minute or so, Fetchmail grabs email off my various email servers
like Google and Earthlink and the like, sends them into Procmail, which
filters them and dumps them in the appropriate box in my local
Dovecot's Maildir system (or into /dev/null). Then, whenever Claws-Mail
does a fetch, it does it to a local server and it's *very* fast. So
fetches over slow Internet connections happen in the background,
continuously. I really like it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist