[Users] Move to trash repositions the cursor to an earlier email <SOLVED>

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Dec 23 17:49:29 CET 2015

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 08:04:08 +0100
"Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン)" <rol at witbe.net> wrote:

> Hello Steve,
>
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 01:12:50 -0500
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> > Pressing d (or menu selecting message->move_to_trash) marked the
> > email, but then went to an earlier email --- the next earliest one
> > not already moved to trash.
>
> You may have missed this part of the announcement of 3.13.1 :
> * A hidden pref has been added, 'next_on_delete'. This controls the
>   message selection when a message is deleted. A setting of '0'
>   which cause the previous, older message to be selected, a setting
>   of '1' will cause the next, newer message to be selected.

[snip]

> Please let me know if the above information helps you fixing the
> probleme.

U D Man Paul! I was hoping it was a known problem (or in this case, a
known feature). So after reading your explanation, I went into
~/.claws-mail, grepped everything for 'next_on_delete' and found it to
exist in clawsrc, exited all copies of Claws, changed the value from 0
to 1, reran Claws, pressed d again, and it performed exactly how Claws
has performed for the past 5 years I've been using it.

Whew, that had me worried!

Thank you!

Is it safe to assume the next_on_delete=0 feature is for people who
start reading their mail latest-first?

Keep up the good work, and thanks for helping me.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist