[Users] Including Body in a search breaks "Match Any"

Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Wed Apr 22 18:58:00 CEST 2015

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 08:38:59 -0700
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

> With the claws list folder open, pop up the search dialog.  Set the
> Match widget to "Match any of the following".  Type "claws" in the To
> field and hit "Find all".
>
> Now, almost all of the messages in the summary pane should be
> highlighted.  There'll be a few exceptions - the messages which were
> directed to a personal address and only Cc'ed to the list.  But mostly
> you should see a sea of blue, or whatever your highlight color is.
>
> Switch back to the search dialog.  Without touching any of the other
> widgets, type "dismay" in the Body field and then hit "Find all".
>
> For me now, _only_ the first few messages in this thread --- where I
> used the super-esoteric word "dismay" --- are highlighted.  Nothing
> else.  Total of 3 selected messages.  I hope we agree that this result
> is incorrect, so is your observed result different?
>
> Since this involves communication with the IMAP server, here's a bit
> of the network log in case it is relevant.  Of course I'll do further
> investigation if anyone asks.
>
> [08:36:39] IMAP4> 437 UID SEARCH BODY dismay
> [08:36:41] IMAP4< * SEARCH 6839 6841 6842
> [08:36:41] IMAP4< 437 OK Search completed (1.232 secs).
> [08:36:50] IMAP4> 438 NOOP
> [08:36:50] IMAP4< 438 OK NOOP completed.

It works for me.  There were a few messages that weren't found with To:
claws, because the poster had CC'd the list... then when I added a
keyword to the Body search that appeared in those messages, they were
included as well.

I'm running claws 3.8.1 on Debian Wheezy, using IMAP.  However, my
network log doesn't show anything about searching, so I guess that
means it's using the local cache to search, rather than searching
through IMAP.

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company