[Users] Downloads for offline use need to be multi-threaded for speed

blind Pete peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au
Mon Sep 8 03:29:57 CEST 2014

On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 19:43:17 +0530
Rajib Bandopadhyay <bkpsusmitaa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/09/2014, blind Pete
> <peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au> wrote:

> [snipped]
> > Consider installing a news spool.  I
> > use leafnode, but there are others.
> > The news spooler periodically
> > downloads news posts in the
> > background, then your news reader
> > only has to fetch items from the hard
> > drive.
> >
> > One day I have to get around to
> > configuring dovecot to do the same
> > job for mail.

> [/snipped]
>
> Dear Sir,
> Thank you for your response! I am in the
> process of installing leafnode and
> stunnel (for SSL), but downloading,
> whether in the foreground or background
> via leafnode involves wastage of
> bandwidth.

I don't know anything about stunnel.

Why do you think that leafnode wastes bandwidth?  It only downloads the
groups that you subscribe to.  The first time it is started it needs
the group list, and then it might download the last thousand messages
of the groups that you select, but that can be configured to a much
smaller number and it only happens once.

> On the other hand, Claws-mail, under
> your control, has the potential to be
> altered to be multi-threaded. Perhaps
> it will take no more than a few extra
> lines of code.

I am not willing to start cutting code, and I used to be a coder.

A poorly implemented complex design is much worse than a well
implemented simple design.  Multi-threading rings alarm bells
in my mind.  If you are confident in your abilities, you are
very welcome to attempt it yourself.

--
testing
bP