[Users] word wrapping

Gordon Haverland ghaverla at materialisations.com
Mon Oct 27 02:20:29 CET 2014

The objective behind two spaces at the end of a sentence, is to
visually identify the break between sentences.  The object of
formatting any source (HTML, TeX, ...) is to make the formatted text as
easy to read as is possible.  HTML introduced the idea (to me) that
some spaces cannot be reduced to 0 width.  Pete is talking about the
"extra space" which separates sentences, which means it cannot be
reduced beyond something significantly wider than 1 space.

Yes, other languages (and cultures) can have developed other biases.
Did what developed come to its present form based on logic, or politics?

It seems I am only capable of learning one human language (English).
But in trying to learn Spanish, I can really appreciate the upside down
question marks and exclamation marks in written Spanish.  It gives
notice that a change in inflection is needed.

I think the gold standard for word wrapping fixed width font messages
(in email) is Text::Autoformat from Perl (by Damien Conway).

If I am forced into editing (deleting) part of some quoted in context,
I will typically put 2 spaces between sentences.

Gord