[Users] word wrapping

Eyolf Ă˜strem eyolf at oestrem.com
Sun Oct 26 18:08:15 CET 2014

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 17:27:36 +0100 wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

> That sounds really subjective and not standard to me. Never seen this
> in either French or English readings. Is there any norm, language rule
> or standard behind this?

Long story short: early printing guides (17th to early 20th c.) prescribe a
1 em space between sentences and 1/3-1/2 em between words. (French printers
have always used the same space in both cases, though, hence "French spacing").

With the advent of typewriters, double- or triple-space became a way to mimic
printed text. Gradually during the 20th c., the practice was abandoned in
printed text, but has remained in the type-writing traditions of some
countries.

Virtually none of the leading style-guides today use double-spacing, though,
and as was mentioned, it is highly country-specific. I have an inkling that
it's partly a US/Europe divide, but I'm not sure.

Eyolf

--
the cuckoo serenades
all of Edo