[Users] word wrapping

Michael A. Yetto myetto1 at nycap.rr.com
Sun Oct 26 14:39:07 CET 2014

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 15:04:54 +1100
blind Pete <peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I've just noticed an oddity about word wrapping.
>
>Back back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth and
>students leant typing in a room full of mechanical typewriters,
>it was drilled into us the correct way to type was with *one*
>space after a word or lesser punctuation mark, but *two* spaces
>after sentence ending full stop, question mark, or exclamation
>mark.  After dabbling in typography, kerning and all of that I
>tend to agree, although in the modern era of one finger typists
>and 'leat speak, it does seem to be an unknown nicety.
>
>Anyway, CM's auto word wrapping strips out the "unnecessary"
>space.  Is there any way to turn that off?  Or should I ask for
>an enhancement? Something like a check box to double space
>between sentences, or after the characters; '.', '?', and '!'
>under /Configuraton -> Settings -> Compose -> Wrapping/?
>Spaniards would probably want the upsidedown versions of
>those.

As I heard the explanation, the reason for two spaces after the
end of a sentence is due to the difficulty to see the tiny
or faint dot left by most typewriters. The second space makes
the end of the sentence more prominent which is unnecessary with
a properly designed typeface.

Personally, I don't feel the loss of the second space.

--
Mike Yetto