[Users] Jump to an arbitrary message in folder?

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue Nov 11 07:39:54 CET 2014

On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 21:39:48 -0800,
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

Ian> This is one of of those things that are fairly minor, but because
Ian> they happen all the time the stress of fighting them accumulates.

Ian> Quite often I want to jump to some other message in the same
Ian> folder, based on what I see in the summary.  I don't want to lift
Ian> my hands from the keyboard to fondle the pointing device.
Ian> Currently I use the arrow keys but this has (at least) two
Ian> disadvantages:

Ian> 1. Claws will try to fetch and render every message in between
Ian> which can take a while if they're large.

Ian> 2. Every message in between will potentially be marked read.  This
Ian> can be helped with the "Mark message as read when selected, after
Ian> ..."  setting, but that has its own disadvantages :-(

Ian> So, I am looking for a way to jump directly to a particular
Ian> message, without clicking on it.  For example. in Gnus (and maybe
Ian> in Mutt, not sure) you can type a sequence like "1 2 3 g" to jump
Ian> to message #123.  Is there something like it in Claws?  If not,
Ian> should there be?

Attached is a patch adding a new search type, "message number is
greater/smaller/equal", and a corresponding "advanced" abbreviation
"Mg/Ms/Me".  With this, jumping directly to a particular message # can
be done by switching to the search dialog and typing "Me 123 <Enter>".
While still not as brief as the Gnus way, it may be good enough for me,
and I think it fits well with the rest of Claws UI.

I'd be happy to see this merged into the official source, and I'm ready
to address reasonable style objections that are pointed out.

Happy jumping, i