[Users] Revisiting the socket_dir $TMPDIR issue

Michael Schwendt bugreporter at abwesend.de
Thu Nov 6 18:48:55 CET 2014

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 18:00:48 +0100, Andrej Kacian wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 15:19:15 +0100
> Colin Leroy wrote:
>
> > I seem to remember we preferred not to do that because some people
> > share their config on dual-boot machines where .claws-mail is on a
> > Windows filesystem, and doesn't support sockets.
> >
> > I'm not sure that use-case is very important.
>
> I'm sure it is important for the people who use such setup. :)

Hmmm, get_rc_dir() is based on get_home_dir() which constructs the
clawsrc path from $HOME.

However they do it then, maybe with a symlink or a windows fs mounted
directly on ~/.claws-mail, does that really work even with slash-separator
based paths in the clawsrc file for plugins? If I here change the path of
pgpmime.so, it isn't loaded anymore. What happens on Windows, if it runs
into plugin paths created on Linux?

Also, is ~/.claws-mail/tmp platform-independent?

Meaning, the default path of the socket file could be hardcoded, albeit
with an option to modify it at runtime (not via $TMPDIR).