[Users] Revisiting the socket_dir $TMPDIR issue

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Thu Nov 6 09:18:05 CET 2014

On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 19:35:39 +0100, Michael Schwendt
<bugreporter at abwesend.de> wrote:

Hi Michael,

>  		socket_dir = g_strdup_printf("%s%cclaws-mail-%d",
> -					   g_get_tmp_dir(),
> G_DIR_SEPARATOR,
> +					   g_get_user_runtime_dir(),
> G_DIR_SEPARATOR, #if HAVE_GETUID

> Unforunately, the opposite case, setting $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR to something
> else, doesn't work with gnome-terminal's mailto handler either. The
> env var also get's deleted. It's just the default that somehow works.

So unfortunately, not a very good fix?

I'm not very enthusiastic about changing this, because when the change
will arrive on users' desktops, the new binary could be launched along
the old one if it was running during the upgrade, and things could get
real messy...

So probably such a patch should check for a socket in the old place, and
if it doesn't exist use one in the new place.

Thanks for the patch, anyway.
--
Colin