[Users] claws-mail Ubuntu PPA -- system not updating

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Mon Nov 3 10:55:21 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 06:55:29PM -0700, ZP wrote:
> Hey claws-mail team,
>
> I've got the claws-mail ppa enabled for Ubuntu Trusty.  I noticed the
> launchpad page now has 3.11.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~trusty2 uploaded and ready
> to go.  For some reason, after an upgrade/update, I'm still stuck on
> 3.10.1.
[…]
> I KNOW I must be missing something here. But my linux-foo isn't strong
> enough to crack this nut.  Any ideas?

On the PPA page⁰ you can click on the architecture where it failed, e.g.
amd64¹, and will tell you the reason:

Missing build dependencies: libetpan-dev (>= 1.5)

Fact is trusty only has libetpan 1.0², so either package dependencies are
relaxed (supposing code still works with 1.0, otherwise some patch may be
required) or the latest libetpan is added to the PPA build environment.

HTH,

⁰ https://launchpad.net/~claws-mail/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
¹ https://launchpad.net/~claws-mail/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/6521216
² http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/trusty/libetpan