[Users] New Version of Claws - Herb Tiede

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Wed May 28 16:01:09 CEST 2014

On Wed, 28 May 2014 09:07:05 -0400
NDMCONSULT wrote:

> Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk>
>
> I have a problem with my Claws system - It's old and out of date. How
> can I update the basic program?
>
> Now Running:
> Claws Mail version 3.9.1-2-g66aa06
>
> New Version per latest message:
> Claws Mail version 3.10.0 Unleashed
>
> If I update, will this integrate with my old emails?
> How can I save a copy of all my emails to ensure I will have a copy in
> case the update fails?
> Hope this doesn't sound too basic for you, but in terms of
> computer expertise, I'm a novice.
>
> Any advice you can offer will be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Herb Tiede

Herb

It would probably make more sense to post this to the Claws user
mailing list, so I'll reply there and Cc: you as a backup.

It would help if you gave some more information about the system you're
running, I am assuming it is Linux of some description.

Claws stores its own files in ~/.claws-mail which is a hidden directory
in your user home directory, that's what the ~ means. You can save a
copy of this, it will contain everything you need to get Claws running
again after a disk crash or similar.

When you upgrade Claws it doesn't touch anything in your mail
directories, so wherever those are the mail will stay exactly the same.

If you are using a packaged Linux variant then you need to find out how
to update your software, probably via a package manager or a GUI
front-end to it.

Then you need to find out if there is a new package for your distro,
this may not be in the standard package repositories and you may need
to add a new repo to get it.

First step: tell us more about your OS and distro.

--

Brian Morrison