[Users] Storing other files in Claws' MH directories?

Claude Jager-Rubinson cjr at grundrisse.org
Fri Mar 28 02:21:10 CET 2014

Is it a bad idea--or how bad of an idea is it?--to mix other (non-MH)
files inside of Claws' MH directories?

Here's the issue: I'm editor an academic pre-print series.  Almost all
of the work is via email--authors submit via email; I recruit
reviewers via email; acceptance and rejection, revisions, etc., all
are handled via email.  So to capture all of this correspondence and
keep it all in one place, I've set up my MH directory structure with
one directory for each project.  This works really well to centralize
all of the work within a clear and simple hierarchy and makes it easy
for me to track the status of each project.

In fact, the only routine non-email activity occurs at the end of the
submission process, after an article's been accepted, when I need to
put together the final PDF prior to publication.

What I'm wondering is whether it's safe for me to store this final
PDF, and other supplemental files that I might have to create, within
the MH directory?  It would be nice to not have to store it elsewhere.
Looking through Claws' directory structure, it's clear that it simply
numbers each message.  So if I avoid numeric names for these files
(and Claws' configuration files) can I be relatively confident that
Claws won't clobber the files?  It hasn't yet, but I've only been
testing it for a short while.

Claude