[Users] OS changes and BSD, was Claws Mail 3.10.1 for Debian

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue Jun 17 07:12:45 CEST 2014

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 14:50:24 -0600
ghaverla <ghaverla at materialisations.com> wrote:

Gord> I am not trolling.  As near as I can tell, Claws is one of the
Gord> packages which through the wonders of dependencies, is trying to
Gord> force me to install systemd.  I've been picking and choosing my
Gord> updates for 4 or 5 months now.  There seems to be half a dozen
Gord> families of packages which want to bring it in.

Desipte Colin's assurance in the other subthread, I think it is possible
that there may be an indirect dependency somewhere.  In that case, I
plan to proceed according to my usual plan when dealing with this kind
of nuisance, which has served me well for many years:

1. Download the _source_ Debian package
2. Edit a few files to make the dependency go away (usually just
debian/rules, debian/control and debian/changelog)
3. Build my own binary version of the package, and install that.

Done, and ready for more productive use of Debian :-)