[Users] Synchronising Claws address books

Chris Dunn chris at iccqs.com
Mon Jun 9 18:35:58 CEST 2014

I would like to synchronise my Claws Mail address books across several
machines, using SpiderOak and am running into some difficulty.

If anyone can offer a solution to the problem I would be most
appreciative.

At present I've placed the address book in my "SpiderOak Hive" folder
which automatically synchronises the files in that folder, including the
address book, across all machines similarly set up. I have a symbolic
link to this address book in my ~/.claws-mail/addrbook directory.

At this point all works well.

The problem arises when changes are made to the address book via Claws
Mail. The changed file is not saved back to the "SpiderOak Hive"
folder, but to the ~/.claws-mail/addrbook directory. So my changes to
the book are not saved to the original file in the "SpiderOak Hive"
folder. Instead a new address book containing the changes is created
under ~/.claws-mail/addrbook.

Here my attempts to synchronise the changes across other machines fails
because the changes have not been made to the file that I am syncing.

Since SpiderOak cannot follow symbolic links the option of putting in
the "SpiderOak Hive" folder symbolic links to the true address book
file under ~/.claws-mail/addrbook is not available.

Guidance from anybody using similar syncing methods would be very
welcome.

--

Chris Dunn

Integrated Construction Consultants