[Users] Safe list of authorized "From:" addresses for SMTP

vitsen at gmx.com vitsen at gmx.com
Tue Jun 3 22:45:01 CEST 2014

On 2014-06-03 22:26, Liz wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 14:25:59 +0100
> Brad Rogers <brad at fineby.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 15:08:09 +0200
>> vitsen at gmx.com wrote:
>>
>> Hello vitsen at gmx.com,
>>
>>> Is there a way in Claws Mail to define a safe list of authorized
>>> outgoing email addresses?
>>
>> AFAIUI, the address book won't work with From: addresses, so that's
>> out.  However, one way is to create SMTP only accounts that each has
>> its own email address specified which is always used to send mail.
>> Then you only have to select the correct SMTP account to send mail
>> from.
>>

> Then you can automatically send from the correct SMTP account for the
> current mail, by setting the correct from address in the properties for
> all your mailing lists, friends etc.

I am not quite sure how convenient such a solution would be. In fact, I
doubt that it would be a satisfactory at all, especially in view of the
fact that my 'From:' addresses would change over time (quite often,
actually). In such case, a static solution as the one proposed above
would not be good enough, I am afraid.

What I am suggesting, instead (assuming that some other solution is not
already available), is a new feature: the implementation of a list of
authorized From: addresses (on a per-account basis) which can be changed
dynamically, possibly via Python scripts.

Could some of the developers please comment on this?

Thank you.