[Users] Tips on how to narrow down a sending problem

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Feb 27 18:32:56 CET 2014

Hi all,

After setting up Claws-Mail on my new Debian Wheezy laptop
installation, everything worked except sending. From everything I can
see, I have the same smtp server (smtp.gmail.com), port number (465),
login (littdom at gmail.com) and password (im not telling) on the notebook
as I do on this daily driver I'm typing this on right now, but on the
notebook, I always got an error (basically, bad username or password).

I even went so far as to follow these instructions:

stackoverflow.com/questions/11046135/how-to-send-email-using-simple-smtp-commands-via-gmail

I followed the instructions that start with "to send over gmail, you
need to use an encrypted connection. this is not possible with telnet
alone", using the same smtp server, same login, same password, and same
port number, and it worked perfectly. I was able to send email.

So my suspicion is that Claws Mail is doing something, that I can't
see, to change one of those four things, or else somehow change the
essential SSL communication.

Can anyone think of any diagnostic tests I can do to further narrow the
root cause scope of this problem?

Thanks,

SteveT