[Users] unable to read own encrypted GPG email

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Dec 8 23:18:26 CET 2014

On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 20:57:56 +0000, Paul wrote:
> Your reply was good, imo, until the part I quoted. Better to inform
> the user of the possibility of using the "encrypt-to MY_KEY_ID" option
> in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf if you couldn't find the convenience option in
> Claws. (Again, IMO.)

You have a point there.

It seems that non of the MUAs I used with GnuPG made an entry in
gpg.conf [1], I suspect they add it as an option when running gpg. Does
Claws edit gpg.conf?

Btw. I'm not quite sure if it's possible to sent an encrypted mail and
to store a non encrypted mail by any MUA. I guess for good reasons they
always encrypt the stored mail too. I guess to keep non-encrypted mails
is a bad habit when not using a MUA, but doing it manually, by writing
a mail with an editor, encrypting it and then using a sendmail program
to sent it.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
$ cat /mnt/oz/home/spinymouse/.gnupg/gpg.conf | grep  encrypt-to
# Use --encrypt-to to add the specified key as a recipient to all
#encrypt-to some-key-id
$ cat /mnt/q/home/rocketmouse/.gnupg/gpg.conf | grep  encrypt-to
# Use --encrypt-to to add the specified key as a recipient to all
#encrypt-to some-key-id

"–encrypt-to name

    Same as –recipient but this one is intended for in the options file
    and may be used together with an own user-id as an
    "encrypt-to-self". These keys are only used when there are other
    recipients given either by use of –recipient or by the asked user
    id. No trust checking is performed for these user ids and even
    disabled keys can be used." - man page

--
Marge Simpson: We used to call ourselves the Cool Moms.

Bart Simpson: There is nothing cooler than calling yourself cool.