[Users] OT: BUG with update marking all email as "read"

Jeremy Schneider jeremy.schneider at ardentperf.com
Fri Dec 5 19:35:26 CET 2014

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Brad Rogers <brad at fineby.me.uk> wrote:
>>really?  mailman sends a duplicate message if a list member is in the
>>to or cc field?
>
> It can be configured not to.  Although that's a user's preference.  And
> as Barry says, it can cause all sort of issues for the unaware.

I use IMAP and I've got gmail for the backend.  I bet gmail is
removing the duplicate email.  I just never noticed before.

>>very much prefer that practice. i use IMAP (to support multiple
>
> IMO, sending me a message twice (once privately, and once via an ML)
> appears like the act of a deranged mind.

IMHO it seems reasonable if I intend the message to land in someone's
inbox; I would assume that most people filter mailing list messages
out of their inbox.  That said, after looking around a little bit, I
didn't realize that it was widely accepted etiquette to reply on list
only.  Ralf's link to the ubuntu guidelines were a helpful starting
point - thanks.

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider