[Users] Junk Meil and Bogofilter

Tim Zakharov himemsys36 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 13:27:09 CEST 2014

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:56:39 +0100
Neil Winchurst <senex at drofle.co.uk> wrote:

> I am getting more and more rubbish emails recently. I have set up
> Bogofilter and I keep marking this trash as spam. Now, am I missing
> something here? I thought the idea was that any emails previously
> marked as spam would henceforth be automatically put into the junk
> folder. Have I got that wrong somewhere? It doesn't seem to be
> happening here. This stuff still appears in my inboxes.
>
> Or should I be using spamassassin?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Neil

Hi Neil, I had the same issue when I started using Bogo.  But I
actually started with SpamAssassin.  SA was taking about 15 seconds to
scan every email that came into CM, and used more memory and resources
than I expected, so I uninstalled it and moved to Bogo.

It did take awhile for Bogo to start detecting spam for me too.
Because my email volume is not high, it took even longer to see
results.  Two things you can do to help:
1) In Configuration-Preferences-Plugins-Bogofilter, place a check box
in both 'Save spam in' and 'When unsure, move to' boxes and provide a
folder (maybe even the same folder)
2) In the same window, place a check in the Insert X-Bogosity-Header
box.  Now when you see a missed spam, check the headers to see how
close to 1 the Bogosity score for that spam is.  You will see progress
here, even if the spam still ends up in your inbox.  This is more to
encourage you to keep marking your emails for BOTH spam and ham.
Eventually, if you diligently marek both spam and ham emails, Bogo will
start working for you.

Best of luck,
Tim