[Users] How to compile claws on Debian Wheezy?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Aug 26 00:34:07 CEST 2014

Hi all,

On Debian Wheezy, Claws-Mail *appears to* make my mouse pointer twitchy
and makes it disappear when a popup message appears. This always
happens after I've run Claws, downloaded mail, clicked on a message,
and mouse-hovered over a message in the message list. The only way to
(temporarily) make it go away is to restart X and not run Claws.

As you can imagine, this is an annoyance, but it's a showstopper when I
use Inkscape, because I can't drag rectangles exactly to construction
lines.

This thing's intermittent, and now I'm down to speculation, guesswork
and prayer, and I'm hoping maybe it's confined to the version of Claws
packaged by Debian Wheezy. I therefore want to compile my own
Claws-Mail, in the hope that it won't produce this problem.

Do you think it will be a problem compiling the latest and greatest
Claws-Mail, which I guess right now is 3.10.1, on Debian Wheezy 64 bit
with 16GB RAM? Does anyone have anything to add to the INSTALL file
that's in the tarball? If I ./configure it so that it's installed under
my home directory instead of /usr/local or wherever, can I run it in
parallel with the Wheezy packaged version (3.8.1)?

And most important, does anyone have any ideas of compile options I can
enable, or more likely disable, in order that Claws has no effect on
the mouse pointer?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SteveT