[Users] Build hangs desktop...

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Tue Apr 22 15:20:52 CEST 2014

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:01:40 +0200 Colin Leroy wrote:

>> I have no clue how to begin tracking this down...  anyone else seeing
>> anything like this?
>
>This may be due to swap indeed. To track it, run top, and look at the
>I/O wait CPU percentage (the "wa" field in the %Cpu(s) line).
>
>You can also install iotop to monitor the heavy I/O processes.

Hi Colin,

My problem during the compile is that the system becomes totally
unresponsive for about 15 minutes...  no mouse, no keyboard, no clock
updates, nothing on screen gets updated...

Stopped a couple of heavy processes, now the full build (including git
pull --all) takes under 6 minutes with no problems as above. So I'm going
to write this off as a swap issue.

BTW, I prefer htop to top. It uses colors and shows all cpus which makes
it easier to see what's going on in an 8 cpu system.  htop can also be
configured.  I prefer to see cpus, mem, swp in the left column, and the
summaries in the right column -- makes it easier to focus on the global
system activity.

hmmm...  writing this on 3.9.3git57 which is what the weird compiles kept
producing (I was about to ask if git numbering was stalled); but just
restarted my other CM instance after full pull and it compiled
3.9.3git81...  too much strangeness...  :/

Thanks for the input!!
Pierre