[Users] Build hangs desktop...

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Tue Apr 22 02:53:29 CEST 2014

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:20:02 +0100 Brian Morrison wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 19:13:05 -0400
>Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:
>
>> Starting to suspect swapping...  8GB memory & 4GB in swap...
>
>The usual ratio of RAM:swap is 1:2, so you really need to allocate some
>more swap if you can.

Hey Brian!

Sorry, I should have been clearer...  my real problem seems to be that I'm
swapping like crazy -- even worse during a compile.  In order to minimize
HD seeks, long ago I setup my Linux on sdb and the primary swap on part
of sda which still contains the original Win7...

# swapon
NAME      TYPE       SIZE USED PRIO
/dev/sda2 partition   20G   4G   -1
/dev/sdb5 partition 19.7G   0B   -2

Looks like no matter how much RAM I have, it eventually gets used
up...  :}   [as my recollection drifts back to the days where replacing a
4KB chip with a 16KB one on a TRS-80 was a huge memory upgrade...  LOL]

Sorry for the noise; maybe this will help someone someday...  :)

Pierre