[Users] Changed SSL certificate

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Sep 26 02:33:03 CEST 2013

Claws Mail 3.8.0 on Xubuntu 12.04.

Lately I have been constantly getting popup messages like this:

Changed SSL Certificate
Certficcate for imap.gmail.com has changed. Do you want to accept it?
Signature status: No certificate issuer found.
Known certificate:
Owner						Signer
Name: imap.gmail.com			Name: Google Int Authority
Location: Mountain View, US 	Location: US
Status Fingerprint (too hard to type!)
Signature status: No certificate issuer found
Expires on: 14/09/10(Wed) 00:59
			[Cancel connection]	[Accept and save]

I use Claws Mail for three accounts: a comcast.net account that came
with my internet provider, a gmail account that I created many years
ago, and a new gmail account created when my university switched to
Google mail. The first two are pop3 and the university account is imap.

At first the messages were about pop.gmail.com, so I disabled that
account for a few days. Now I am getting them about the university
account, which I dare not turn off for very long.

Regardless if I click on Cancel connection or I click on Accept and
save, the messages keep popping up. In the meantime, Claws Mail
fetches the mail just fine.

The popups are highly annoying because they appear right on top of
whatever program window I am working in. I don't know if they are an
indication of a security problem, or if they can be safely ignored.
Most importantly, I can't figure out how to shut them up.

Suggestions and observations welcome.