[Users] Finally, I had to switch to Thunderbird. CM is too slow to be usable!

Daniele Boffi 3daniele03 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 09:20:54 CET 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 22:20:09 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Like I said in another email, I would think that it wouldn't be that
> hard for the developers to have the Get Mail button run a separate
> process concurrently with Claws.

This would certainly be a good idea.

Let me try to explain a little better some of the drawbacks that I am
experiencing when using a poor network connection.

I often travel with high speed trains. In that situation the network is
very slow and intermittent (frequent network freezes due to high speed,
tunnels, etc.).

- Even syncing a small folder can take minutes... and during the wait
  CM is simply unusable.

- Changing to a different folder does not show the local copy if you
  are on-line. The message list is shown only after the folder is
  checked for new mail (and this can take time).

- If I am sending a message and want to save a copy to an IMAP folder,
  the message is not delivered until the copy is saved. If the
  connection to the IMAP server timeouts, then the delivery is aborted.

I have to try if offlineimap can be a good solution. I hope so, because
I am missing several features of CM .

For sure, Thunderbird is very effective even with poor network
connection: you can keep working and all the necessary network
transfers are performed in background.
For instance, when I change folder, the local cache is shown
immediately and only the cursor shows that TB is syncing the folder
with the server; in the meantime I can read/answer messages, compose
new mail. New messages in the folder are shown as they are downloaded.
And if I decide to change folder before the sync has been completed,
the new priority of TB is to sync the new folder (the process on the
previous folder is completed in background).

Cheers,

Daniele