[Users] On which Linux distro is Claws Mail best supported?

H.Merijn Brand h.m.brand at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 4 08:42:49 CEST 2013

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 08:25:56 +0200, Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン)
<rol at witbe.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 08:13:08 +0200
> "H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 00:35:51 +0200, Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk>
> > wrote:

> > > A happy KDE user here, Claws Mail works like a charm. It doesn't really
> > > care what desktop environment you run it in. :)
> >
> > Happy KDE user here too. This ML (nor the OP question) is about desktop
>
> +1 for KDE, on a Fedora 19.
>
> To be fully honest, I must add that I've rebuilt myself Claws instead of
> using the package provided by Fedora, but that's because I'm running Claws
> with my own set of patches ;)

Sorry, that should have been mentioned in my post too. I only run CM
from git checkouts (or nightly tgz's in the times it still was cvs).

When you install from packages, there should be no dependency problems
at all (if the packager knows their job). The advantage of building
from source is twofold

• You get the most recent version with all known issues fixed (as much
  as the developers are able and willing to fix: some feature requests
  are quite weird or illogical, and the developers have all right to
  choose what is a bug and what is not. Besides that, it is still
  voluntary time, and you do not pay them to get this awesome mail
  client)

• You have access to the source: if you find a bug, just fix it and
  make the fix available to the team hoping they agree with the fix and
  the fix will be committed for the next cycle: all users benefit :)

The only disadvantage is that you need to have development tools
installed and all related development packages installed. That should
not be a problem for developers, but if the only thing one does on a
box is using a mail client and browsing the web, having all that
installed might be a bit over the edge.

using perl5.00307 .. 5.19   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE