[Users] Firefox and Claws Mail

wwp subscript at free.fr
Thu Feb 14 09:52:53 CET 2013

Hello Ian,

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:22:24 -0800 Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:17:08 +0100
> Colin Leroy <colin at colino.net> wrote:
>
> Colin> I disagree. Such things should not be hardcoded because they may
> Colin> vary from machine to machine, even if they're using the same
> Colin> Claws-Mail binary.
>
> Most often the binary will be provided by the distribution which - it is
> hoped - has a unified policy in this respect.
>
> Colin> What is highly asking-for-trouble, though, is redefining
> Colin> variables such as $TMPDIR inside a single user session. Things
> Colin> launched from a GUI should have the same basic environment.
>
> Well the problem here is clearly Firefox _is_ asking-for-trouble in
> precisely this manner, without the user having a say over it (I checked
> the 'about:config' pseudo URL and there is nothing to set this).  Unless
> of course wwp him/herself sets this in some Firefox wrapper script.
>
> wwp, what is your source for Firefox?  Is it provided by your
> distribution, hand-compiled, or just binary downloaded from mozilla
> site?

I (himself) install firefox from RPMs available at the remi repository.
Remi provides RPMs for firefox and deps to the whole RHEL and variants
(Fedora, CentOS, etc.) community, and apparently he's not modifying the
way firefox uses TMPDIR in its startup script as he says. See:

  http://forums.famillecollet.com/viewtopic.php?id=1914

Regards,

--
wwp