[Users] Removing old messages from a folder

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 8 20:14:55 CET 2013

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:22:25 +0000
Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:18:16 -0500
> Robert wrote:
>
> > I seen there are processing on right click on a folder.  Is this the
> > best place to do my house cleaning or is there some place else?
>
> You can create a processing rule for all messages that does a delete
> for age>180 (days) or something similar that suits. It will run each
> time you open the folder.

I'd be very careful about something like this, for non-technical
reasons. If the emails are yours, compare the benefit of keeping them
with the cost. Personally, I regularly go back and revisit emails over
five years old. With disks getting nothing but bigger and cheaper, my
only real problem is backup.

If it's for someone else, and that person is a business, be aware of
the legal requirements for keeping and disposing of email.

Personally, I have kept most of my email since 3/2001 (when I converted
to Linux), and in a separate set of files I have editor-readable emails
going back to the mid 1990's (Eudora).

SteveT

SteveT