[Users] marking reply text within a message

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Tue Feb 5 17:01:49 CET 2013

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 09:10:32 -0500
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 14:15:01 +0100
> Michael Gmelin articulated:
>
> > On 5 Feb 2013, at 07:14, Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> > > In Claws Mail you write plain text messages only. It doesn't
> > > matter what font you see on your screen, the message is just
> > > plain text, Claws Mail never sends any information about what
> > > font to render the message in on the recipient's sytem. The
> > > recipient sees it with whatever font they have configured their
> > > system to use.
> > >
> > > with regards
> > >
> > > Paul
> >
> > This is also covered in the FAQs:
> >
> > http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/General_Information#Does_Claws_Mail_allow_me_to_write_HTML_styled_messages.3F
> >
> > It might be worthwhile adding a dedicated question for less tech
> > savvy users  - it seems claws' user base is growing recently and
> > this is something new users might not expect - unless they chose
> > claws exactly because it does email like it was meant to - in the
> > "Composing Mails Or News" section of the FAQ.
> >
> > Something like:
> >
> > Q: Can I change the font when composing messages?
> > A: basically Paul's text from above plus a reference to the general
> > topic of HTML messages.
>
> Claws-mail does not support the sending of HTML email, so what would
> be the point of making another FAQ?

Because "joe user" doesn't understand that setting the font means HTML
email.

> BTW, it would be nice if you lost
> the urge to send HTML based email to an email forum.

It's not an "urge to send HTML based email", it's called iOS
and it switches to HTML at will. Most mobile phones have issues with
sending reasonable plain text email. This happens when people do
correspondence while travelling in 2013 (out of my last 50 mails to the
list, exactly one contained an HTML version, probably because I copy and
pasted a link into it). At least there seems to be a complete, readable
and well formatted plain text alternative, so the harm is
pretty minimal.

Sometimes it's hard to follow netiquette 100% these days, so I'm not
sure why you're trying to teach people about it in such a rude way.

--
Michael Gmelin