[Users] [pf at pfortin.com: Re: Periodic "connection failed"]

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Fri Aug 30 00:10:50 CEST 2013

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:30:18 -0400 Haines Brown wrote:

>----- Forwarded message from Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> -----

>>seeing the contents of your ~/.claws-mail/accountrc for this account
>>(minus the password[1] lines) might help.
>
>Pierre, thank you. The problem with Claws persists as usual. This morning
>it was hung. After killing the Claws-mail process and restarting it,
>there was a bach of new incoming emails, as recently as earlier this
>morning. But when I click "Get Mail", still get no connection error
>message.
>
>I checked configuration. Server ID is simply my wife's email address. It
>works for both sending and receiving mail, and here I confine myself to
>the Receive mail configuration. The default inbot is
>#mh/Mailbox/inbox. Incoming mail is filtered and Get Mail is enabled.
>SMTP port is 587 and POP3 port is 110, which is correct. Domain name
>field left blank as is all folder fields.
>
>I here append a redacted accountrc from her machine:

I've added lines showing where mine differs; but I see nothing wrong...
well...  except that for some reason, a block of lines is duplicated.

>[Account: 1]
>account_name=gloria at gloriabrownministry.net@mail.gloriabrownministry.net:110
>is_default=1
>name=Gloria Brown
>address=gloria at gloriabrownministry.net
>organization=
>protocol=0
>receive_server=mail.omnis.com
>smtp_server=mail.omnis.com
>nntp_server=

>local_mbox=/var/mail
 local_mbox=

>use_mail_command=0
>mail_command=/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
>use_nntp_auth=0
>use_nntp_auth_onconnect=0
>user_id=gloria at gloriabrownministry.net
>password=XXXXX
>use_apop_auth=0
>remove_mail=1
>message_leave_time=7
>message_leave_hour=0
>enable_size_limit=0
>size_limit=1024
>filter_on_receive=1
>filterhook_on_receive=1
>imap_auth_method=0
>receive_at_get_all=1
>max_news_articles=300
>inbox=#mh/Mailbox/inbox
>local_inbox=#mh/Mailbox/inbox
>imap_directory=
>imap_subsonly=1
>low_bandwidth=0
>imap_use_trash=1
>generate_msgid=1

 generate_xmailer=1     # dunno if this is from older or newer in mine
                        # I've been using CM for over 10 years.
>add_custom_header=0
>use_smtp_auth=1

#####  For some reason, the following group is duplicated below...
>smtp_auth_method=0
>smtp_user_id=
>smtp_password=!
>pop_before_smtp=0
>pop_before_smtp_timeout=5
>signature_type=0
>signature_path=/home/gloria/.signature
>auto_signature=0
>signature_separator=--
>set_autocc=0
>auto_cc=
>set_autobcc=0
>auto_bcc=
>Set_autoreplyto=0                # mine is "set...", not "Set..."
>auto_replyto=
>enable_default_dictionary=0
>default_dictionary=en
>enable_default_alt_dictionary=0
>default_alt_dictionary=en
>compose_with_format=0
>compose_subject_format=
>compose_body_format=
>reply_with_format=0
>reply_quotemark=
>reply_body_format=
>forward_with_format=0
>forward_quotemark=
>forward_body_format=
>default_privacy_system=
>default_encrypt=0
>default_encrypt_reply=1
>default_sign=0
>default_sign_reply=1
>save_clear_text=0
>encrypt_to_self=0

##### Start of duplicates
>smtp_auth_method=0
>smtp_user_id=
>smtp_password=!
>pop_before_smtp=0
>pop_before_smtp_timeout=5
>signature_type=0
>signature_path=/home/gloria/.signature
>auto_signature=0
>signature_separator=--
>set_autocc=0
>auto_cc=
>set_autobcc=0
>auto_bcc=
>set_autoreplyto=0                     # lowercase here.
>auto_replyto=
>enable_default_dictionary=0
>default_dictionary=en
>enable_default_alt_dictionary=0
>default_alt_dictionary=en
>compose_with_format=0
>compose_subject_format=
>compose_body_format=
>reply_with_format=0
>reply_quotemark=
>reply_body_format=
>forward_with_format=0
>forward_quotemark=
>forward_body_format=
>default_privacy_system=
>default_encrypt=0
>default_encrypt_reply=1
>default_sign=0
>default_sign_reply=1
>save_clear_text=0
>encrypt_to_self=0
##### End of duplicates

>privacy_prefs=

>ssl_pop=0
>ssl_imap=0
>ssl_nntp=0
>ssl_smtp=0
>use_nonblocking_ssl=1
>in_ssl_client_cert_file=
>in_ssl_client_cert_pass=!
>out_ssl_client_cert_file=
>out_ssl_client_cert_pass=!
>set_smtpport=1
>smtp_port=587
>set_popport=1
>pop_port=110
>set_imapport=0
>imap_port=143
>set_nntpport=0
>nntp_port=119

>set_domain=0
 set_domain=1
>domain=
 domain=pfortin.com

>msgid_with_addr=0
>set_tunnelcmd=0
>tunnelcmd=
>mark_crosspost_read=0
>crosspost_color=0
>set_sent_folder=0
>sent_folder=
>set_queue_folder=0
>queue_folder=
>set_draft_folder=0
>draft_folder=
>set_trash_folder=0
>trash_folder=
>
>"Use_mail_command=0" Does not sound right, but I don't know that this
>function is supposed to do.

Just a boolean for:  mail_command=/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

>"password=" looks like an encrypted version of the plain text password I
>provided during intial configuration.
Yes.

>"smtp_password=!" I also don't understand.
Account->Send UserID & Password are blank = use what's on Account->Basic

Going back to your original post...
>     ERROR
>     Connection to mail at omnis.com:110 failed
Is this correct?  A hostname doesn't contain "@" -- maybe you typo'd
when copying...  I don't see any error that would cause this.

I'm still suspicious of a random DNS issue...

Try running the attached script for a while to see if DNS changes are
happening when your problem [dis]appears (it will only report DNS changes
if and when they happen) with:
  $ watchdns mail.omnis.com

HTH,
Pierre