[Users] Periodic "connection failed"

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Wed Aug 28 05:35:35 CEST 2013

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:09:21 -0400
Haines Brown <haines at histomat.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:07:50PM +0100, Paul wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:51:56 -0400
> > Haines Brown <haines at histomat.net> wrote:
> >
> > I can say without fear of contradiction that this is not a
> > problem in Claws. Looks like a server issue.
>
> Do you say this based on the debut message?

Yes, it's a pretty bold claim! No, I don't say this based on the
debut message, I say this based on many years of trouble-free POP
usage in Claws. (Well, the debut message a bit too! :)

> I can send messages no
> problem, and somehow every day or so messages download (I see that
> I configured the system for auto retrieval every five minutes, and
> so it seems that connection only works once in a while). The server
> is the same I use for my current machine, and no problem with it.
> The mail account setup worked for a couple of years without
> problem.

If it worked for a couple years and then stopped without changing
anything in Claws, this, again, points to something outside of Claws.

> > I note that the version of Claws Mail is 3.7.6. That version is
> > over 3 years old. I suggest that you upgrade.
>
> Well, I've not upgraded my wife's system from Debian squeeze to
> wheezy, and hence the old version of Claws Mail. It would be easy
> to upgrade the system, and with it would come a newer version of
> Claws Mail. But if the problem were at the server end, upgrading
> should make no difference.

I was suggesting upgrading Claws, not upgrading your system. I think
there are probably backports for squeeze.

It won't make a difference to your problem, but it will make offering
support easier. (Messages, line numbers, etc. in the debug info.) A
lot has changed since then. Also, new versions of Claws are released
for a reason.

> Where in the debug message does it report that it tried but failed
> to engage the mail server? I must have missed it.

There is no connection attempt at all in the debug info you sent, but
in your original message you reported "Connection failed".

Also, the method you used to attach the debug is inconvenient - I
have to drag and drop the attachment to a folder in order for Claws
to do the work of decoding the message part. Just attach the part,
(the debug text), not the whole message.

Try to send a new debug output, capturing a retrieval event.

with regards

Paul

--
It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me,
but to a collector it is worth a fortune