[Users] Building using git

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Wed Aug 14 11:59:13 CEST 2013

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:36:39 +0100
Brian Morrison wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:58:39 +0200
> Ricardo Mones wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 04:55:00PM +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

> > > Didn't see an answer to my question. Can anyone help?
> >
> >   That file is updated from git describe when you run autogen.sh,
> > unless you don't have the .git dir. In that case (building from a
> > tarball without .git) the pre-generated 'version' script is used by
> > autogen.sh.
> >
> >   From your previous messages is not clear to me which case you
> > were, probably somewhere in between, hence the version divergences.
>
> Well I thought I had done the right thing, I cloned a new directory,
> did a git pull --all and then ran autogen.sh which still gave me the
> wrong version. Is there something I need to delete first?

And after Paul's two new commits today I can see that git65 has now
become git67, which is correct.

The thing that has been confusing me is that Colin's snapshot
generating script had got to git71 a week ago, and has not created a
newer version despite there being about 10 commits since that time.

What's going on here, did omething get out of sync on Colin's server?

It seems that my setup is OK in fact, it's just out of sync with the
snapshots.

--

Brian Morrison