[Users] Building using git

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Thu Aug 8 20:30:59 CEST 2013

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 18:56:54 +0100
Paul wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 18:47:06 +0100
> Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > touch config.h.in
> > make[]: *** No rule to make target `version', needed by
> > `Changelog'. Stop.
>
> You're missing that weighty .git/ directory in your build location.
> It is an integral part of building.

Ah, thanks, that was it. I had copied the directory and removed it so it
didn't end up in the tarball I wanted to create.

Seems to be working now, except that once everything has finished
running the version.h file contains a version of 3.9.2.60, so how do
I get it to reflect the git directory when a git pull --all is giving me
an up to date response? I assume there is another step needed to put
the correct version information where the build tools can find it.

--

Brian Morrison