[Users] Can't write file

Hugh H. kshcygsrch at snkmail.com
Sat Apr 6 16:47:33 CEST 2013

At or about 09:46 on Sat, 06 Apr 2013 "Owen <rcook at pcug.org.au> is alleged
to have written:

>> I just replaced Ubuntu with Linux Mint.  After doing the install, I
>> restored all my $HOME files from backup.  Now claws-mail is giving me
>> continual messages saying "Can't write file."  The relevant lines from
>> the
>> log show:
>>
>> * Account 'Legend': Connecting to POP3 server: pop.secureserver.net...
>> [16:55:58] POP3< +OK <8497.1365195357 at pop.secureserver.net>
>> [16:55:58] POP3> USER {e-mail address}
>> [16:55:58] POP3< +OK
>> [16:55:58] POP3> PASS ********
>> [16:55:58] POP3< +OK
>> [16:55:58] POP3> STAT
>> [16:55:59] POP3< +OK 10764 278396971
>> [16:55:59] POP3> UIDL
>> [16:55:59] POP3< +OK
>> [16:56:00] POP3> LIST
>> [16:56:00] POP3< +OK
>> [16:56:00] POP3> RETR 10719
>> [16:56:00] POP3< +OK 16740 octets
>> *** Can't write file.
>>
>> I noticed that I was running v3.8.0 under Ubuntu and am now running
>> 3.8.1
>> under Linux Mint.  I tried reinstalling.  I tried looking for
>> claws-mail
>> directories or files with incorrect permissions, username or
>> groupname, to
>> no avail.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>Generally permissions are a culprit with this problem.
>
>Can you confirm that where you expect your mail to be written, is in
>fact writable?

All files in the mail directory for this account are r/w:

Hugh H.                                    e-mail: kshcygsrch at snkmail.com
Somewhere in the USA                                 http://www.cynic.org

   When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will
     find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of
  obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
                                                      -- C. P. Snow