[Users] User manual (was: Re: The Windows port.)

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Apr 6 14:23:05 CEST 2013

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 13:12:23 +0200
Ricardo Mones articulated:

> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 06:22:45 -0400
> Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You see, that's what's wrong with so much of what I see in Linux.
> > The documentation just talks around things without really saying
> > anything. What people want is step-by-step: do this, then do this,
> > then do this, etc. People learn that way. You can try to pound
> > concepts and architecture into their heads all day and it doesn't
> > do any good.
>
>   That's "Claws Mail for dummies", which hasn't been written yet
> (probably because some publishing company would try to sue you), but
> you're free to start one. Anyway we've never considered Claws Mail
> users dummies.

For Dummies is an extensive series of instructional/reference books
which are intended to present non-intimidating guides for readers new
to the various topics covered. Despite the title, their publisher has
taken great pains to emphasize that the For Dummies books are not
literally for dummies. The subtitle for every book is, "A Reference for
the Rest of Us!". As of March 2013, over 1,800 For Dummies titles have
been published. The series has been a worldwide success with editions
in numerous other languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Dummies

In all too many cases, "man" pages and other open-source documentation
"assumes" that the user is fully versed in the operation or
application at hand. This is not always true. As a teaching tool and
even for my own use on occasions, I have found these manuals to be an
excellent starting point.

By the way, I contacted the company a few years ago regarding a
project I was working on. I was told that they would be glad to peruse
my manuscript and if they approved it, publish it. I would be given
credit for the authorship and compensated for my work. That project is
still a "work in progress" however.

--
Jerry ♔