[Users] Move #mh to shared folder.

Mark Filipak markfilipak.linux at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 04:01:25 CEST 2013

On 2013/4/5 9:36 PM, Holger Berndt wrote:
> On Fr, 05.04.2013 17:38, Mark Filipak wrote:
>
>>> It _is_ asking the right question.
>>
>> No, it's not.
>
> Yes, it is.

No, it's not. Hehehehehe... Okay, seriously, we have a difference of opinion here. As one of the developers, your opinion is more important than mine. (By the way, thank you for your efforts.) But... I represent the outsiders who come to Linux and to Claws cold, with certain preconceptions: granted, but preconceptions that are based on substantial experience. In my case, it's 35 years of experience as a user, a developer, and an industry documentarian. It's experience that I can gift to you, to profit you and your team.

We have a difference of opinion... You are right. I am also right. We have to find a common ground in which we are both right. Only gain can result. This disagreement displays that we are both somewhat wrong. We must, together, erase the wrong.

> In Claws Mail, a mailbox and an account are two distinct concepts.

Yes! But the nomenclature is getting into the way. The idea that the container of mailboxes is 'The Mailbox' is getting in the way of understanding.

The 1st step is to give everything a name. A well chosen name, simply by its appropriateness, can avoid much confusion and reduce the amount of explanatory documentation needed. Rather than making firm statements, perhaps there's a nomenclature on which we can agree.

> A mailbox is used to store messages. An account is used to pull in
> and/or send out messages. There's no problem in having multiple
> accounts that fetch messages and dump them into the very same mailbox.

Account? These are Mail Accounts? How about Mail Sources? Mail comes from Mail Sources (POP & IMAP servers) and gets deposited in Mail Boxes. Aren't 'aerotek' and 'experian' (to use my examples) Mail Sources rather than Mail Accounts?

Think about it, Holger. Get back to me here or by PM.

Ciao - Mark.