[Users] Command line password update?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Sep 22 16:44:42 CEST 2012

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 14:17:20 +0100
Kevin Chadwick articulated:

> > If the stolen PC was being used by the thief, then he/she must have
> > either known or been able to crack the password to access the
> > machine. I do hope that your friend was not so stupid (naive) as to
> > not have had a bonafide password in place.
> >
> I assume your drive is encrypted but putting all your passwords in one
> basket means a compromise is a bigger headache but you can go to
> greater length to prevent that.
>
> > The only PC that I have that could conceivable be easily stolen
> > would be my laptop. It is running Windows7 and requires facial
> > recognition to access the PC. Perhaps your friend might want to
> > consider adding some additional security to his replacement PC ASAP.
>
> Hee hee, Facial recognition, the security that 6 year olds
> have broken.
>
> To the OP, the key for the passwords and the code is in the source
> code. I guess a replace all passwords tool or function would be
> handy. I have additional security measures but still use passwords in
> the client.

Interesting Kevin; do you have any verifiable statistics to back up
your claim? I don't know of any six year old that could accomplish
that feat. I have had between 30 and 40 people, with my permission of
course, attempt to gain access to my laptop. They all failed. Hell,
twice it even gave me a hard time logging in. Perhaps the units your
six year old hacked into had the threshold for recognition set
ridiculously low.

You might want to check out this URL:
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1385959/Under-look-key-PC-iris-scanner-security-device-set-market-months.html>.
It is definitely something I am going to investigate further. At a mere
$99 it is a steal if if works correctly. However, in all likelihood, it
will not work on FreeBSD.

--
Jerry ♔