[Users] Command line password update?

Guus Bonnema gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 22 15:08:13 CEST 2012

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 08:23:00 -0400
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 04:37:03 +0200
> Guus Bonnema articulated:
>
> > On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 20:17:22 -0400
> > Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  <snip>
> >

> If the stolen PC was being used by the thief, then he/she must have
> either known or been able to crack the password to access the machine.
> I do hope that your friend was not so stupid (naive) as to not have had
> a bonafide password in place.

Not saving his passwords in the applications on his PC suffices. The point is
that if you have your hands on the hardware, nothing is safe. Ultimately even
encryption cannot withstand that.

But encryption is still a lot more difficult to crack than saving passwords
in applications (browsers, mailing programs etc). So he just refrains from
saving passwords in apps, thats all.

> The only PC that I have that could conceivable be easily stolen would
> be my laptop. It is running Windows7 and requires facial recognition
> to access the PC. Perhaps your friend might want to consider adding
> some additional security to his replacement PC ASAP.

I am curious about the facial recognition: is that mainstream? Or do you
work for a highly specialized company?

Guus Bonnema.