[Users] Command line password update?

Guus Bonnema gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 22 04:37:03 CEST 2012

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 20:17:22 -0400
Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm getting tired of running around to all the programs that
> remember the password I'm forced to change every 3 months
> and changing them individually.

Some time ago a friend of mine had his personal computer stolen. Of course he
had most applications remember the passwords, like you do. Result was: his email
account was purged of emails, his bank account was accessed, other accounts were
accessed and damaged. It was by no means easy to recover all that was lost and
he didnt manage to recover fully.

Since then I have stored all my passwords in a central, encrypted file using
truecrypt and password + key files. This allows me to change any password I
want only in 2 places: the server concerned and the encrypted file.

When logging on I use the encrypted file and copy and paste. For convenience I
have yakuake installed so the terminal is always a F12 click away, no matter
which application I am on. grep+copy+paste does the job. And I do not have to
remember any passwords.

The best I can do if the program supports it is remembering for a session,
which lasts until I shut the application is down.

Be careful to backup the file encrypted, plus the keyfiles.

There might be an easier way to do this but I haven't found it yet.

Guus.