[Users] Questions regarding character encoding of text/plain attachments

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Tue Oct 2 15:47:22 CEST 2012

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:33:44 +0200
Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 02:47:44PM +0200, Michael Gmelin wrote:
> >

> > My argument would be: If it's ascii, don't try to change it - this
> > way UTF-8 can pass through transparently. But that can be hard on
> > legacy systems. That's definitely not Claws responsibility though.
>
>   Don't understand this. Passing through is already done thanks the
> Content-Transfer-Encoding, regardless the charset of the content.

This is very specific for the application I'm talking about. They take
the attachment, decode it (based on the transfer encoding), but then,
instead of just storing it as a binary it gets transcoded to latin1 and
then re-encoded to UTF-8 on download. I contacted the maintainers and
they'll look into it. So this is nothing Claws specific.

Regarding patches: I have one or two other minor improvements
to Claws as well, I might start coding on a rainy weekend
in fall - is the users mailing list the correct place to discuss
implementation details, or is there a better place for this (dev@
mailing list or direct contact etc.)

Thanks,

--