[Users] Colors: light text on dark background

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Wed May 9 11:31:10 CEST 2012

On Tue, 8 May 2012 09:34:06 -0700
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> I want to experiment with light text on dark background for Claws.
> I took a look at the *rc files, preferences, themes, and clawsker,
> but didn't find any obvious way to modify the normal background and
> foreground colors.  Did I miss something obvious, or is it not
> possible?
>
> Has anybody managed to do this?

Yes. This is done with your GTK+ theme config file, gtkrc.

In the gtkrc file you will find the gtk-color-scheme definitions,
e.g. the default ClearLooks theme:

gtk-color-scheme = "base_color:#ffffff\nfg_color:#000000\ntooltip_fg_color:#000000\nselected_bg_color:#86ABD9\nselected_fg_color:#ffffff\ntext_color:#1A1A1A\nbg_color:#EDECEB\ntooltip_bg_color:#F5F5B5"

Locate your theme, (probably in /usr/share/themes/), and edit the
colour scheme to suit.

Alternately, you can place your own custom gtkrc file in your home
directory for all GTK apps, or in ~/.claws-mail/ for just Claws, but
this file must be called .gtkrc-2.0 or gtkrc-2.0 respectively.

However, I use KDE, which places it's own .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 in my home
directory, which overrides the other files mentioned above (i.e.
~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.claws-mail/gtkrc-2.0), so it's possible that your
desktop may try to intervene in a similar way.

HTH
with regards

Paul

--
It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me,
but to a collector it is worth a fortune