[Users] Only issue prevent claws-mail to be accepted in corporate

J. Bakshi ( জয়দীপ বকসী ) joydeep at infoservices.in
Wed Mar 28 07:49:57 CEST 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:57:28 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:14:23 +0530
> "J. Bakshi" <joydeep at infoservices.in ( জয়দীপ বকসী )> wrote:
>
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I have introduces CM (3.8.0) in our organization. The initial
> > response was very good, specially the quick search abilities of CM
> > draws everyone's attentions.
> >
> > But soon users ( who are thunderbird users) have faced the well known
> > problem of CM, the frozen and grayed out issue. Even some users
> > complaint the CM was frozen when they were in middle of the writing
> > urgent emails.
> >
> > The same thing happens also during mail search. Is there any way to
> > fix this very issue ?
> >
> > BTW: I have faced the same problem during my writing of this very
> > small email, because CM was downloading emails !!!
>
> Hi J. Bakshi,
>
> The way I minimize this inconvenience is to set Claws to download only
> when I tell it to. That way it doesn't happen in the middle of writing
> an email, and, for instance, they could download email just before a
> bathroom break or a walk to the coffee pot.
>
> The tougher problem is when you're three levels down in the menu system
> and all of a sudden it appears to freeze hard. Now you and I both know
> that what has happened is some Claws dialog, not currently in the
> foreground, needs attention, but to the new Claws user the symptom
> description would be "hung" or "froze". I had a particularly difficult
> one of these last night when I clicked OK and everything grayed out. It
> turned out that a value on the dialog was illegal and I had to go
> change it, but the only indication to the user was everything grayed
> out. I think the best strategy against this type of thing is an
> education campaign -- once you've seen it for what it is, it doesn't
> panic you.
>
> I'm not saying that "just work with it" is an ideal solution, but
> threaded programming is difficult, and if threading this program would
> take a complete rewrite, I'd worry that the next version would have
> serious bugs.
>
> SteveT

Hello SteveT,

well... I am a CM user in home environment since last couple of years, and I
am overlooking its drawbacks purposely because of its positive sides :-)

But when we like to introduce S/W to corporate sector; then rather than the
personal liking; the usability to that sector playing the prime role.
It is not that CM is not liked by the corporate users; majority of whom are
familiar with outlook and thunderbird since long. This is really a good point.
Just its some drawbacks (well, may not be a issue programmatically, but the users
will use it finally ) don't allow the users to accept it confidently.

At office I really don't have much time to allow it to complete it's
operations during frozen state. Thunderbird is a better choice at office.
And home I need to kill the CM when it doesn't come back from its frozen state :-(

If CM can fix those issues, it will be surely at the 1st position.