[Users] How to search folders recursively?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Mar 18 20:52:29 CET 2012

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 02:22:25 +0100
Salvatore De Paolis <iwkse at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 02:04:27 +0100
> Michael <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:
>
> > There is one way with 'quicksearch' (clicking the little magnifier
> > glass icon above the mesdsage text window). Just select the top
> > folder, and do the search.

I couldn't figure out what to put in the 'quicksearch' window. I tried
a typical procmail regex:

^From.*troubleshooters.com

and it didn't find any of my emails to myself. So exactly what do you
put in that "quicksearch" window?

> It won't work if you do not select 'Recursive' first.

Exactly where and how does one select 'Recursive'? I could find no
place to do it.

I have a suggestion for Claws' "search messages" dialog box. In
addition to checkboxes "case sensitive" and "extended search", add
another checkbox called "recursive". If "recursive" is checked then the
search is conducted not only in the highlighted directory, but in those
below it. Care must be taken so that the "Stop" button that appears
during a "Find all" operation continues functioning.

My guess would be this is pretty easy for anyone familiar with Claws'
code base. The existing "search messages" algorithm would remain
unchanged, but would simply be put in a recursion loop if the
"recursive" checkbox is checked. I'd imagine the recursion loop is
already written because it's what gives you the list of folders under a
folder.

I think this addition would be immensely helpful to a lot of people,
with little extra work.

Thanks

SteveT