[Users] Migrating Google Mail to Claws Mail

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 08:35:24 CET 2012

I have Claws Mail 3.8.0 on Fedora 16, x86_64. I have a couple of
accounts set up that have worked perfectly for years. Now I want to
migrate my Google mail to Claws Mail. This has generated some questions:

1)

First, the Google mail account is actually a university account where my
address is <username>@pdx.edu. I don't understand how this works, but
when I send a message to this address it shows up in the Google mail
account. This was a recent change; previously the university hosted all
the e-mail and now they have switched to Google mail.

I started by switching the Google mail account to IMAP. Then I set up a
new account in Claws Mail using <username>@pdx.edu as my e-mail
address, and imap.googlemail.com and smtp.googlemail.com as the receive
and send servers. These addresses were listed on the "setting up your
mail client" page at the university, although I had to get them from a
Thunderbird instruction sheet because Claws Mail was not listed.

When I try to send mail I get a popup that says it's sending, but
eventually it times out. If I try to get mail on the new account
nothing at all happens, not even a popup saying it is connecting.

Elsewhere I found instructions to use imap.gmail.com and
smtp.gmail.com, but those give me the same results.

I need some clues.

2)

After setting up the new account (even if it is not working yet) I find
a folder marked "PSU (IMAP4)." I labeled the new account "PSU," so that
explains where the name came from, but what is this folder for?